To Be Or Not To Be A Teacher!
Here are some suggestions I have for those of you contemplating the career:
- The first prerequisite to become a teacher is to understand the basics of the subjects you are interested in. You should be able to assimilate knowledge and then impart it in simple terms to another individual (who may or may not possess that knowledge). Try a simple test of directing someone to your home;if he/she reaches without a hitch you are a success!!!
- Coming to brass tags: you need to have the required educational qualifications. Each institution and university clearly chalks out the qualifications required to apply for a particular teaching post. By and large,a doctorate is mandatory for teaching in a college (some approve of M.Phil plus teaching experience). To teach in schools you need to have completed post-graduation, a B.Ed. and teacher's training.
- Besides the educational qualification you should have a pleasing personality (remember 50 or more pairs of eyes are watching every detail of yours). How confidently you carry yourself even if there are physical disabilities, is what counts.
- A teacher is a role model in many ways:
- could be in terms of dressing up (be modest),
- mannerisms (no digging nose and biting nails),
- language- good command over the language,
- No usage of bad words,
- No wrong spellings on the board.
6.Teaching the same subject year after year with enthusiasm requires constant innovation in teaching methods and persistence to sustain the interest of student.
7.Though everything now is taught with power point, it is still helpful having a legible handwriting on the board as well as on paper.
8. Finally, give it your best with passion and be ready to accept your mistakes even if your student has pointed it out to you; humility counts!
So decide for yourself and enjoy whatever you do.
All the best!!!
Prof. and HOD Dept; of Home Science(Retd)
Mount Carmel College